Season Concerts Beginning September 2021
Jul 01, 2021 - Apr 30, 2022
We are thrilled to announce the coming season, New Beginnings, with a return to in-person concerts in Jensen Grand Concert Hall and a slate of exciting guest artists. We are also deligted to announce the talented guest conductors who will take the stage for the season - Dr. Scott Anderson, Conner Gray Covington, and Jennifer Drake - and offer a special thank you to Dr. Patrick Brooks who will serve as cover/rehearsal conductor for much of the season.
September 25th - From the Shadows: Guest Artist and renowned pianist, Jeffrey Biegel, presents the world premiere of Shadows for Piano and Seven Players by award-winning composer, Ellen Taaffe Zwilich, with Guest Conductor, Conner Gray Covington. Check back soon for more details about this exciting world premiere!
October 29th - Awakening:
- E. Cooley, Argo (2016)
- E. Taaffe Zwilich, Shadows (2011/2020)
- D. Shostakovich, Symphony No. 5 (1937)
Guest Artist and ISU Instructor of Music - Guitar, J. Curtis Thompson
, will perform the beautiful Guitar Concerto No. 1
(Castelnuovo-Tedesco) with Guest Conductor, Jennifer Drake.
December 10th - Joy to the World:
- G. F. Handel, Music for the Royal Fireworks (1749)
- M. Castelnuovo-Tedesco, Guitar Concerto No. 1 (1939)
- J. Bologne, Symphony No. 2 (1779)
- A. Borodin, Polovtsian Dances (1877)
Guest Conductor, Dr. Scott Anderson, brings you Handel's Messiah
as we move into the holiday season.
February 11th - Catch the Sun:
Guest Conductor, Jennifer Drake, returns to the stage with a program of "exciting music to shake everyone out of the winter doldrums and gather people together."
March 19th - POPS concert with the Music City Hit-Makers:
- C. Nielsen, Helios Overture (1903)
- R. Peck, Signs of Life II (1983)
- A. Marquez, Conga del Fuego Nuevo (2005)
- L. van Beethoven, Choral Fantasy (1808)
the POPS concert is a collaboration with ISU's Season of Note and features the acclaimed Nashville-based Music City Hit-Makers, Matraca Berg
and Marcus Hummon
, backed by ISCS musicians with Guest Conductor, Jennifer Drake. Berg and Hummon will perform some of the chart-topping hits they've written for artists including Tim McGraw, the Chicks, Keith Urban, Wynonna Judd, and Trisha Yearwood.
April 29th - In Full Bloom:
Guest Artist and ISU Assistant Professor of Trumpet and Music Theory, Dr. Eddie Ludema
, will perform the uplifting Trumpet Concerto (Gregson) with Guest Conductor, Conner Gray Covington, for the season finale.
- F. J. Haydn, Symphony No. 88 (1787)
- E. Gregson, Trumpet Concerto (1983)
- W. G. Still, Serenade (1957)
- R. Strauss, Death and Transfiguration (1889)
We can't wait to see you in Jensen Grand Concert Hall!